Saturday, March 13, 2010

T Minus 17 Days


Wow. It's hard to believe that in a few weeks I will step off a plane in Harare, Zimbabwe and begin a trip, and a life experience, I never imagined. For those who don't know the story, I was born in what was Salisbury, Rhodesia on April 15, 1970 and adopted 10 days later by Robert and Jeanette Bell. Mom and Dad had moved to Rhodesia 17 years prior to escape the smog and gloom of post-War London to pursue sunnier, happier days. They had an amazing life in Salisbury -- a successful business, beautiful home and many of the trappings of colonial life. But, in 1972 they had the foresight to envision an even better life for me, and my newly adopted sister, Colette, in America. They made a very difficult decision to leave their home, belongings, and life they built in the country they loved, and left Salisbury in December, 1972 to build a new life in up-state New York.

Fast forward to August, 2009. In the lull following a busy reunion at my parents' home in the Red Rocks of Sedona, Arizona with me, my sister Colette and her family from Chicago, mom received a call very early in the morning of the 8th. The caller was Nina Gibson from Kitwe, Zambia. Mom still describes Nina's "gorgeous, calm Rhodesian accent and her poise" during the call. In short, Nina told mom that she believed she was my sister. After 30 minutes of fact sharing, dates lining up and continued conversations, mom and dad were convinced Nina was indeed my sister.

I woke up that morning to a series of voicemails and emails from mom and dad urging me to call them. They seemed happy and excited, so I was convinced the news was good. I suspected a multi-million dollar lottery payout was imminent. Turns out, it was far more than that.

I am indeed blessed to have another sister, Nina Gibson, and a brother, Liam Gibson. They each live in Zambia now after having fled unimaginable loss in Zimbabwe. Nina, a few years younger than me, lives with her partner Simon in Kitwe, northern Zambia. Liam, in his late 20s, manages my birth mother's farm in Livingstone, Zambia along the banks of the Great Zambizi River with his girlfriend, Ashleigh.

There is, though, a sad part to the story. My birth father, Michael, died in 1995. And my birth mother, Jennifer, died in May, 2009. Shortly before her death, she sat Nina and Liam down and told them about the baby she and Michael gave up for adoption a few years before they were eventually married. Nina told Jennifer she would find me and tell me what an amazing mother she was.

And, so here I sit. On the verge of a trip back to the country of my birth -- a place both my sets of parents loved so dearly -- to meet an extension to my family that I NEVER imagined existed. I arrive in Harare on March 30. Nina and my parents (who arrive a few hours before me) will meet me at the airport. Colette will join us a week later. We will stay in the lap of luxury in Harare at Nina's amazing friends', Paul's and Jan's, home. We will see it all -- from our childhood home, to my parents' old business, to the hospitals where we were born. We will see Jennifer and Michael's old farm in Zimbabwe (now owned by Mugabe) and their homes in Harare. We will spend a week on safari, hang out at my brother's' farm, visit Nina's home in Kitwe, meet my grandmother in Harare and my Aunt in Cape Town. I will spend my 40th birthday in Zambia surrounded by my new extended family. How cool is that? I'm so fortunate that my parents, and Colette, will join me and share in the experience with me. I will do my best to post regularly to the blog whenever an Internet connection is available.

Thanks to all of you for your support and encouragement. Each of you has played a part in making this trip possible. But most importantly, thanks to Mom and Dad for your remarkable openness and acceptance of what for many might have been disturbing events, and for giving Colette and me such amazing opportunities and your unconditional love. Without you guys, none of this would've been possible. I love you so much.

3 comments:

  1. I am honored to make this journey with you back to our roots and blessed to have you for my brother. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing story, Adrian! Ann told me about it and I couldn't believe it. My thoughts are with you on what will be a journey to remember!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bawling...I can't wait to read the updates during your trip. I'm excited and, at the same time, I will miss talking to you every day. I have the feeling this is only the beginning of an amazing journey for you and the entire family - they are lucky to have you. xox

    ReplyDelete